Wedding Ceremonies in southern Spain. 

Costa del Party can arrange your ceremony or blessing with one of our recommended humanist celebrants, or can assist you with a full legal marriage, in Spain or Gibraltar, if you are eligible. However, many people from the UK, Ireland and EU destinations prefer to conduct the legal part of the marriage in their home country and use a humanist minister in Spain to conduct a blessing, or service, before the celebrations, this can save a lot of time and paperwork!

The following celebrants are recommended and used by Costa del Party, for humanist ceremonies, blessings and wedding ceremonies.

Liz Wilkinson

Liz Wilkinson

Natasha Johnson

Natasha Johnson

Kurt Kettner Borough

Kurt Kettner Borough

Tony Wilcox

Marriage celebrant Anthony Wilcox, English wedding celebrant

A Wedding is a very personal experience and these ministers will help you conduct the service to show your true expression to your partner. Ceremonies can contain some religious element, be spiritual, romantic, or light hearted, in accordance with your views. Of course, the legal paperwork or "registry" would need to be completed in your home country, in order for the marriage to be legally binding.

No legal paperwork is required for a Humanist Wedding ceremony and it can be conducted in pretty well any location you desire.

Wedding in Andalucia

We can also arrange religious blessings and church weddings. although you may still need to complete the paperwork at home.

Getting Married in Spain - Important info!

The Costa del Sol in southern Spain is a popular destination for weddings and wedding receptions, however, getting married in Spain, is a little more complicated. Ensuring you have exactly the right paperwork, will help to avoid disappointment on the day, so here is a guide to getting it right!

Marriage Blessings - Humanist Ministers.

For most UK and Irish residents that do not have a property in Spain or are not Catholic, the most simple route would be, to have the civil wedding in Gibraltar or the UK followed by a marriage blessing, or non religious ceremony here in Spain. A humanist minister can provide your ceremony in Spain, although all the legal paper work will have been done in your country of origin, see the Humanist ministers above. Many couples like to consider their ceremonial service as the real wedding, with the signing of the registry papers as a mere formality.

British Nationals - Consider Gibraltar!

Before we go into the requirements to Marry in Spain and as many of Costa del Party's clients are British Nationals, let us mention a more simple route first! Here on the Costa del Sol, we border with the Rock of Gibralter and many UK citizens prefer to get married in Gibralter, while enjoying the wedding reception and honeymoon in sunny Spain.

Where legal marriage in Spain is not practical for nationality or other reasons, Gibraltar can offer a possible alternative. It is quite straightforward and the whole wedding ceremony takes place in English. The paperwork includes a sworn statement of eligibility at a local lawyers office. Full details can be obtained from the registers office.

New Rules 2014: Just brought into force is a new requirement that any couple marrying in Gibraltar must stay at least 1 night in Gibraltar, either the night before the wedding or the night of the wedding. Documentary evidence* must be provided to confirm this or the marriage will not be permitted to take place! However, paying for hotel room is often enough, you don't actually need to stay there!

Other papers you may require for a Wedding in Gibraltar are:

Birth certificates
Decree Finite (if divorced) plus original marriage certificate
Death Certificate (if widowed)
If non UK citizen Freedom To Marry Letter from Embassy (in English/Spanish)

Marriage Registry, 277 Main St., Gibraltar. Tel +350 72289

Gibraltar Government Website - Click Here.

Information on Marriage in Gibraltar for Non-Residents - Click Here

Getting Married Legally in Spain.

The first step is to contact the local registry office, town hall or church where you are planning to marry. They will inform you of the procedures and will also give you a list of documentation required by them for foreign nationals wishing to marry.

Spain is notorious for slow administration of Paperwork, so one of the most important aspects, is to give yourself plenty of time! In any case, you should approach the nearest Spanish Consulate, in your country, or your embassy in Spain, to obtain information about the procedures involved, as these are subject to change!

If proof of UK residence is needed, a letter can be obtained from the local Electoral Registration Office to the effect that the UK resident is on the electoral register for the year in question.

All British documentation such as birth, divorce and death certificates must be stamped with the Hague Apostille (obtained from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office >> ) and translated into Spanish by an official translator recognised by the Spanish government.

The basic documents needed for a civil ceremony include:

  • A valid 10-year passport.
  • An original full birth certificate must be provided.
  • A Consulate Certificate of No-Impediment.
  • Certificate of Residence also known as Certificado de Empadronamiento which proves you have been legally resident in Spain for at least two years.
  • Decree Absolute (the final divorce paper, if applicable)Death Certificate (if you are a widow or widower) and the original Marriage Certificate.
  • Change of Name Deed (required if you have changed your name).
  • Proof of residence for the last 2 years.
  • All documentation issued in UK must be legalised by Foreign & Commonwealth Office
  • For a Civil Ceremony in Spain (at least one party must live/own a property in Spain)

A Roman Catholic wedding is legally binding and recognised by the Spanish authorities. There is no need for either of the couple to be resident or “empadronado” in Spain and all the paperwork is prepared in your home country. You should contact your local parish priest who will help you prepare and then send the documentation via the Arch Dioceses to the church in Spain where you will be married.

The basic documents needed for a Catholic ceremony include:

  • A valid 10-year passport.
  • Baptism Certificate.
  • Confirmation Certificate.
  • Certificate that you are single.
  • Certificate of completion of pre-marriage course.
  • Dispensation of impediments.
  • At least one of the couple must be Catholic, with neither party divorced, although some parishes do require both parties to be Catholic
  • Permission of Parish Priest – all documentation is done through the Priest
  • Documents should be done around 6 months prior to wedding date

It is possible to marry through other churches in Spain, such as Protestant, Islamic and Jewish but couples must comply with the civil requirements and normally be a member of the local church.




If you still require assistance, contact our team for advice!

Create a Wedding Package

Our detailed Wedding enquiry form gets you started!

Wedding Entertainment

Our speciality, professional wedding entertainment.

Wedding Catering

Simply outstanding catering especially for your Weddings and Events,


Wedding ceremonies and blessings, humanist ministers.